Saturday 30 March 2013

I'm back!

Hello! Sorry for the complete lack of blog posts over the last few months. Recently I took the decision to leave my part time job working from home and go back to a full time day job, which has unfortunately meant less time for Minifelts. 
As much as I've loved having extra time to spend on my little business and watching it grow over the past few months, it has been a bit lonely working from home all the time. Plus my new day job involves listing products and editing photographs so it'll all come in handy with Minifelts anyway! 

So with less time to spend on sewing and a big increase in sales this year already, I decided it was definitely time to invest in a sewing machine! 
I have to admit I'm rubbish on it at the moment, and it is going to take a lot of practice before I'm as good as I am at sewing by hand but it'll make things so much quicker and easier in the long term. I decided on the Singer Confidence 7463 that I'd seen demonstrated at the Knitting and Stitching show as it looked pretty easy to use and had blanket stitch. 

I definitely think I chose the right one, I'm amazed at how easy it is to thread  I've borrowed my mum's sewing machine in the past and it's taken me ages to work out how to set it up but with this one it only took minutes (it even has a very helpful diagram printed on the machine itself in case you forget!) 

So far the biggest challenge hasn't actually been mastering the machine but thinking about how to adapt my designs so that they work on the sewing machine, and allowing for things like seem allowance as I soon realised it's much harder to sew really close to the edge of the felt. So I think a few changes might have to be made!

If you have any sewing machine tips or advice on adapting patterns I'd love to hear them. 

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your new job and new venture. The only advise I can give is take your time and practice, practice, practice. Once you get over the initial nerves of a new machine it's amazing how quickly you will get used to it.

    ReplyDelete